Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Rachel the super-hero !!!

Earlier this year I was contacted by a young lady named Hannah D'Avino to see if we could team up on a fundraiser to honor her sister Rachel. When she proceeded to tell me who Rachel was and what she had done, I could not say "yes" fast enough ! Rachel D'Avino had been hired by Sandy Hook Elementary to work with a nonverbal autistic girl and had been at the school for only a couple days when the horrible shootings occurred on December 14, 2012. Hannah created this bio about her brave sister;

(The amazing Rachel D'Avino)

  Rachel was working on becoming a board certified behavioral analyst. She was at Sandy Hook Elementary for a little over a week working with a nonverbal autistic girl. Rachel's whole life was dedicated to helping those on the autism spectrum lead easier more enjoyable lives. Autism Speaks was Rachel's favorite charity because one of their main goals is research. Rachel used to say the more we know the more we can help.We have a team called Team Rachel. We wear capes and Wonder Woman gear.

(Team Rachel)

  We walk in honor of Rachel Marie D'Avino a true super hero. Our family was shattered on December fourteenth. A pillar of strength and wisdom isn't coming home. The only thing that can keep our family functioning is to work as a group to be like Rachel. We find solace by continuing Rachel's dream and working as a team to make lives easier. Rachel was a hero to children before that day in December and it is our job to make that known.

(Rachel's passion was helping children)

 Rachel was more than a sister to me. She was my best friend and mentor. I have dedicated my life to continuing her dream. I will spread autism awareness with every step I take. After Rachel was taken from us I started working with a low functioning girl with autism and changed my major to applied behavior analysis. She may not be able to help a child be more independent, but she taught me well. I will follow her footsteps and do everything in my power to be like Rachel. 

(Rachel on graduation day)

Our two artists for this campaign also wanted to mention just what Rachel meant to them as well:

 Corbin Dillane age 8.
He wrote:
 " Rachel was my best big person friend. I have ADHD and Rachel used to help me think of things to do to keep me having good behavior. My picture is my own video game land. Rachel and I played video games together a lot. I think she would love my video game land."
 
(Corbin in Gameland)
 
  Evelyn Stone Age 8
She writes "Rachel was my friend and babysitter now she is my guardian angel." 
In this picture she is with her brother Andrew. He has Autism. Rachel was his para, babysitter and friend. The both of them love and miss Rachel. 

(Andrew and Evelyn)

It is a true honor to be helping Team Rachel keep her memory and her mission, to make this world a better place for those with autism, alive. Thank you so much

No comments:

Post a Comment